TEXT: LUKE 4: 1 – 13
INTRODUCTION: We are living in very challenging timews all over the world, wherein we are faced with divese temptations.
This is the period of Easter and we shall be considering, in this study, the temptation of Jesus Christ, the Saviour of the world.
The greatest temptation that Jesus Christ faced in his earthly ministry, is not the one we read in our text today, but the temptation of the Cross. Before going to the cross at Calvary, in the garden of Gethsemane, he besought the Father three times that if it is His will, He should allow the cup of the New Testament to pass him bye. On each occasion, he ended up by saying, “not my will but thy will be done.” He ended up by yielding to the will of our Father, God.
In this study, we shall consider some of the lessons that we can learn from Jesus’ temptation, which are as follows:
- There is no one that is above temptation – John 16: 33.
If Jesus was tempted, it therefore means you also can be tempted.
- The source of temptation is virtually the same all over the world
The major source of temptation is the devil himself, although he uses various means to achieve this. Hebrew 4: 15 – 16, I John 2: 15 – 17, James 1: 12 – 16.
- What our response to temptation should be
- Count it all Joy – James 1: 2 – 4, Hebrew 12: 2
- Resist the devil, not by will poer, but by the Word of God – James 4: 7 – 8
- Yield yourself totally to God – Romans 6: 13.
- How one can overcome temptation.
Some of the things we need to do to overcome temptation are as follow:
- Put on the whole armour of God on daily basis. – Ephesians 6: 13
- Make use fo the word of God – Psalm 119: 9, Hebrew 4: 12.
- Watch and Pray – Matthwe 26: 41, Hebrew 5: 7
- Look unto Jesus – Hebrew 12: 1 – 2.
- Encouragement to those who are tempted – I Corinthians 10: 13, 2 Peter 2: 9, Revelations 3: 10
CONCLUSION: Jesus is our perfect example on the issue of temptation, having experienced some in his earthly ministry. In Hebrews 12: 3 – 4 we are admonished thus: “For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.”
MEMORY VERSE: Hebrews 2:18
“For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest.”
THE DETERMINANTS OF PROSPERITY- Part 2
May 19, 2021
THE BENEFITS OF THE PEACE OF GOD IN OUR HEARTS – Part2
April 21, 2021
DOING OUR FATHER’S (GOD’S) WORK
March 10, 2021